The activities of the National Center cover 3 main disciplines in the earth sciences, namely:
I. Earthquake seismology
II. Regional and exploration geophysics
Main functions of the National Center for Earthquakes and Volcanoes:
- Maintenance, expansion, upgrading of the Saudi National Seismic Network (SNSN).
- Operation of local seismograph networks in volcanic areas (harrats).
- Operation of local seismograph networks in strategically important areas.
- Operation of portable seismic stations to study natural or induced earthquake activity.
- Continuous monitoring of earthquakes and man-made explosions within Saudi Arabia.
- Processing and analysis of all recorded earthquakes within Saudi Arabia.
- Research on earthquakes and earthquake risk within the Kingdom.
- Preparation of seismic zonation and risk or hazard maps for the Kingdom.
- Preparation of seismic micro-zonation maps for cities.
- Maintenance of the earthquake catalogue for the Kingdom for research purposes.
- Rapid announcement of earthquake details to governmental organizations and the media.
- Participation in planning for emergencies arising from earthquake activity.
- Education of the public regarding earthquake hazards.
- Cooperation with international earthquake data centers for the exchange of data.
- Monitoring volcanic activity within the Kingdom.
- Geothermal measurements as an aid to predicting volcanic activity.
- Volcanology and geothermal research.
- Geophysical research.
- Geophysical surveys in cooperation with other sections of SGS.
- Conduct geophysical surveys for government and other organizations and companies.
- Establishment of a GPS network along the Gulf of Aqaba and Red Sea for plate movements.
4) Other activities:
- Cooperation with Saudi universities and government organizations in seismology, geophysics and volcanism.
- Consultation to government organizations and companies in the fields of earthquake seismology, earthquake risk, geophysics and volcanology.
- Training personnel in earthquake seismology, geophysics and volcanology.
- Participation in conferences on earthquake seismology, geophysics and volcanology.